In honor of The Rachael Ray Challenge, which aims to adopt out 1,200 needy cats and dogs by August 31, 2013, this week we are all about celebrating the cat eye!
Plenty of local kitty and puppy cuties are camera-ready sans tips. Coo over your future best friend at The Animal Rescue League of Boston and the MSPCA.
Without further ado, here is the cat eye how-to!
M•A•C Cosmetics Senior Artist Fatima Thomas supplies easy instructions:
1. Cat eye liner can be done with liquid, pencil or gel. If using pencil, make sure you have a freshly-sharpened point. Try M•A•C Powerpoint Eye Pencil in Engraved. If using gel, make sure to have a tool you are comfortable using. I recommend M•A•C’s 266 Small Angle Brush with Fluidline in Blacktrack. (Available at www.maccosmetics.com.)
2. Define the upper lashes by making short, clean, precise strokes as close to their roots as possible, terminating at the inner corner. The result should be a thin, clean line.
3. Starting from the outer corner, draw a thin upward line or "wing." The wing can be about a quarter or a third the length of the entire eyelid. Make sure the wings of each eye are symmetrical. To clean up or correct, use a cotton swab that's been dipped in a bit of makeup remover.
4. With smooth, decisive strokes, connect the wing to the liner on the eyelids, making the liner look tapered as it moves toward the inner corner of the eye.
5. This next step is optional, but makes the look more picture-perfect and professionally done. Fill in the upper water line rim, just below the upper row of lashes with your liner product.
Here are some other product suggestions in which to create your cat eye:
The e.l.f. Essential Waterproof Eyeliner Pen is a no-budge liner with a smooth felt tip applicator that glides on easily. It comes in eight rich shades including Hunter Green, Teal, Plum and Ash. (Available at www.eyeslipsface.com.)
AERIN presents her New York City Color collection. Kajal Eyeliner in Skyline is an inky black hue which lines the inner lids in an easy, fluid stroke or can be smudged on the outer lids for a more smokey look. (Available starting in August at www.aerin.com.)
L’Oréal Paris The Super Slim Liner by Infallible is a super-thin liquid liner with a 0.4mm precision felt tip that provides superior control for extremely precise lines. The water-based ink formula provides a smooth application without any skipping or smudging. Intense pigments create a rich, beautiful shade of black. (Available at www.lorealparisusa.com.)
Make Up For Ever’s Aqua Liner is a highly-pigmented liquid liner in matte, iridescent and diamond finishes. It’s formulated to withstand weather, water, and sweat. The fifteen intense shades include Diamond Gold, Iridescent Electric Purple, Mat Mocha, Diamond White, Iridescent Anthracite, and Diamond Lagoon Green. (Available at www.sephora.com.)
Finish off your cat eye with a healthy coat of mascara, apropos for your cat eye - Maybelline’s Volum’ Express the Colossal Cat Eyes. (Available at www.maybelline.com.)