With summer officially underway, our hands and feet are on full display. Fret not: with all of the advances in nail technology, the mani/pedi experience you used to have to go to the salon for can now be replicated at home (sans the massage chair).
Experts weigh in on the latest nail trends:
ORLY Educational Manager Catherine Baek comments on the latest styles. “Women are using nail polish as a way to express themselves and enhance their personal style. One of the most popular summer trends we’re seeing is bright, bold neon shades on both fingers and toes. Glitter is also making a come back. In the past, glitter used to be geared more towards the teenage demographic but now women of all ages are using glitter to enhance their look in the same way that jewelry and accessories adds to an outfit.” The “Feel the Vibe” collection includes bubble gum pink Beach Cruiser, aqua blue Skinny Dip, bright yellow Glowstick, and others. Flash Glam FX Collection includes shimmery puple Ultraviolet, a silvery black Atomic Splash, glimmer green Monster Mash, and others. (orlybeauty.com, ULTA, Sally Beauty).
Essie Weingarten, founder and creative director of essie talks about the essie Mirror Metallics Collection. “The appearance of beautiful foils on the runway ignited a year-long search to realize that kind of overall, even reflectivity in a paintable polish.” The collection features a lilac alloy: nothing else metals, the pure rock-solid classic good as gold, and blue rhapsody, a heavy metal airforce blue, among others. (essie.com, CVS)
For an easy, no fuss mani/pedi, OPI features their new Pure Lacquer Nail Apps. “Nail art has become increasingly popular, with both consumers and trained professionals,” says Suzi Weiss-Fischmann, OPI Executive VP & Artistic Director. “Pure Lacquer Nail Apps provide the perfect way to get a one-of-a-kind look that simply cannot be replicated by hand. Each nail strip is made of 100% real nail lacquer for a flawless final look with easy application.” Designs range from snake print to geometric to floral patterns. (opi.com, salons)
Hands and feet need some pre-polish prep.
Treat hands and cuticles with some TLC:
- Soften cuticles with Burt’s Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle crème. (CVS, burtsbees.com)
- Nail Love Nail and Cuticle Oil Pen from IT Cosmetics has a conditioning cuticle oil on one end and a rubber cuticle tool for pushing back cuticles on the other. (itcosmetics.com, beauty.com)
- Lavender Honey Hard Lotion, made locally in Ipswich from Great Marsh Artisan Skincare, is great on dry skin and cuticles. It features natural ingredients such as beeswax, shea butter, organic essential oils, and has a subtle lavender scent. (greatmarshskincare.com)
- Boots No 7 Protect & Perfect Hand SPF 15 is an anti-aging hand cream with the added protection of SPF. (Target, ulta.com)
Perk up your pedi with some help for dry feet:
- Kiss My Face Peppermint Foot Scrub exfoliates and moisturizes with walnut shells, peppermint oil, and sunflower oil. (Walgreens, kissmyface.com)
- The Ped Egg, made famous “As Seen On TV”, does a number on super dry feet by gently removing dead skin with its steel micro files. (pedegg.com)
- NightCare Intensive Healing Foot Cream has a thick, rich, texture and nourishes with vitamins A, D, & E. (nightcareproducts.com)
- Sweets for Feet foot creams bring aromatherapy to foot care with moisturizers in yummy fragrances such as the lemony Lemonade Cake, vanilla and brown sugar Buttercream Dream, and ginger and cinnamon Ginger Spice Cookie. (sweetsforfeet.com)
New nail trends are right at your fingertips (I couldn’t resist):
- Nail artist Charlotte Knight’s Ciate Caviar Manicure features pearlescent beads for a 3-D effect. The gorgeous shades include the multi-colored Rainbow, pearlescent white Mother of Pearl, and opaque black Black Pearls. (Sephora)
- daniPro combines beauty and health with their antifungal infused nail polish. It contains Undecylenic Acid, a topical antifungal. Shades include the deep red Always Be True, lilac Stop And Smell The Flowers, bubble gum pink My Girl and others. (danipronailpolish.com)
- One of summer’s most in demand colors is deborah lippman’s Mermaid’s Dream Nail Lacquer: seafoam with a glittered shimmer. Other new colors include riviera blue On The Beach, and ultra violet Private Dancer. (Bloomingdale’s, lippmancollection.com)
- LCN’s Magnetic Effect polish line makes it easy to enjoy the magnetic nail trend (just hold the magnet over wet polish for a starburst, snake, or curve effect). They have a wide selection of colors such as the silver Magnetic Moments, bright purple Fuschia Attraction, deep blue Ferromagnetic Blue and others. (lcnusa.com)
- SpaRitual Vegan Nail Laquer won Best Organic Nail Polish by NEWBEAUTY Magazine. The line features colors from subtle to dramatic including the earthy brown Clay, teal Indigo, gold Aurum, midnight blue Undercurrent, and others. (sparitual.com)
- Chanel’s latest must-have is Holiday, a flattering orange with a hint of red. (Macy’s, chanel.com)
- Maybelline’s Color Show Nail Lacquer Metallic Collection features four new shaes: Bold Gold, a shimmery gold, Amethyst Ablaze, a cool purple, Navy Narcissist, a deep blue, and Blue Blowout, a shimmery light blue. (CVS, maybelline.com)