There is something so tempting about bright, dynamic and bold make up. Vamp it up with color - it’s fun and even a little decadent! First, figure out which feature you want to highlight. Balance is key when you’re putting together your face game plan. I like the general rule of thumb: if you’re accentuating the eyes, go for a more neutral lip. If you’re going for a bold lip, tone down the eyes.
Starting with the eyes: one option is a super brightly colored eyeliner such as a lime green, aqua blue or magenta. Keep a nice clean line directly above the top lash line, below the bottom lash line, or both. For eye shadow, try a charcoal, taupe or medium brown. If you’re using a daring eye shadow like a bubble gum pink, fushia or turquoise, go for a liner in black or gray.
Lips require a few simple steps. Start by determining which color doesn’t compete with your eyes and compliments the rest of your face. If you’re using a vivid color, try a lipstick base first. It keeps the color consistent. Use a lip liner right along the lip line, and fill in with lipstick. A lip brush helps with accurate application. Top off with gloss. Or, for a more transparent effect, try a lip stain.
Check out some new luminous, intense colors…
- Make Up For Ever’s new Pantone Color Report features vibrant eye shadows such as Cabaret (magenta), Margarita (green), Tangerine Tango (deep orange) and Cockatoo (aqua blue).
- Dolce & Gabbana’s new Crayon Intense Eyeliner comes in super bright Lilac, Gold, and Acqua, and offbeat colors such as Lemon and White.
- Urban Decay has taken their highly pigmented shadows and reformulated them for a more dense and uniform color. Check out Psychedelic Sister (amethyst), Saturated (deep pink), Hijack (metallic teal), and Radium (peacock blue).
- Three Custom Color Specialists’ new Vivacious Violet Lip Gloss is a bright purple with a delicate pink sparkle and high-shine coverage.
- Maybelline’s new SuperStay 10HR Stain Gloss is lightweight and available in vivacious colors like Fresh Fuchsia, Cool Coral, and Berry Heavenly.
- Avon’s Ultra Glimmersticks Lip Liner features shades like Mystery Mauve, Rich Cocoa, and Simply Spice.
- Dior’s Addict Extreme Lipstick comes in bold shades such as Cherie Bow (mauve), Plaza (plum), Fireworks (fire engine red).