The editors of Good Housekeeping contributed to the new book 7 Years Younger, which covers topics from diet and nutrition to fitness for body and mind, to hair and makeup. The team includes Health, Beauty & Environmental Sciences Director Birnur K. Aral, Ph. D., Nutrition Director Samantha B. Cassetty, M.S., R.D., Executive Editor Jennifer Cook, Food Director Susan Westmoreland, and Nina Judar, Beauty Director. Nina contributes some tips from the book below.
Freshening Foundation: The right base sets the stage for the rest of your makeup palette. The overall effect you want is dewy, to help compensate for drier-looking or rough-textured skin. Look for the ingredients glycerin or hyaluronic acid. Also, check out “light reflecting” foundations, which deflect light from lines and crinkles, visually filling them in and making them look softer. Other words to keep an eye out for that mean the same thing are "luminous," "radiance" and "light-diffusing."
Eye-enhancing Products: Perhaps more than any other feature, your eyes draw others in. And eyes are not just a window to your soul (as the saying goes); they can reveal your age, your health and how well you care for yourself, too. A sign of age shows up here first.
- Lid primer: A neutral shade of eye primer smoothes the surface of your lids so shadow adheres better and longer.
- Liner: Whether you prefer pencil or cake formula, the result is the same: an even, light outline opens and enhances the shape of your eyes. If your go-to liner is black, consider trying brown, which is softer and less harsh.
Full, Attractive Lips:As with most of your features, lips evolve with age. Their color may lighten or become more irregular, and their overall volume may dip.
- Lip Liner: Using a clear or nude liner that’s the same shade as your lips, carefully apply the liner around the perimeter of your lips to define your mouth.
- Lip Brush: This tool gives you optimal precision as well as control over how much color you lay down near the lip border.
Lengthening Mascara: Choose a formula that’s also water resistant to keep mascara from smudging and flaking.
- Lash Curler: Lash curlers can take eyelashes from droopy to drop dead gorgeous. Eyes look more youthful and awake when lashes are curled because it reveals more of the whites and frames your eyes. Gently clamp down lashes and hold for a slow 15-second count.
- The Right Brow Tools: Brows not only frame your eyes, but are the backbone of your face.
- Brow tweezers: To maintain shape, use tweezers rather than an at-home waxing kit. They’ll give you more precise control over the process.
- Brow pencil: Use it to fill in where nature has left gaps or where brows are sparse.
- Exfoliation: A clean sweep for skin helps you face the day looking younger and dewier. During sleep, the rate of skin turnover slows, allowing old, dead cells to build up on the surface, leaving skin feeling rough and dry. Exfoliating not only removes dead cells, it encourages skin to increase production of new, healthy cells.
- Moisturizer: Smoothing on a moisturizer after cleansing makes skin look and feel good. These products are formulated to attract water and to keep it in the top layer of your skin, creating a dewier look. For day use, choose a moisturizer that has anti-aging ingredients and that also has sunscreen, preferably SPF 30. At night, choose a moisturizing anti- aging night cream either with retinol or with collagen building peptides.
- Smoothing Lines and Wrinkles: Every time you smile, frown or squint, the skin around your eyes crinkles up. Eventually, as the collagen levels diminish, your skin literally stays scrunched and deeper creases take the place of fine lines. You may want to talk to your doctor about a prescription retinoid or try an eye cream with retinol. If you find retinol too harsh on your eye-area skin, you might want to swap those vitamin A-derived products for peptides, which also stimulate collagen growth.
Here are some new anti-aging skincare products:
European favorite PRIMAVERA made its way to the U.S. recently. The 25-year-old German brand, born in the Alpine foothills of southern Germany, uses pure plant oils in its natural skincare and aromatherapy line. The company’s holistic approach extends to social and environmental responsibility with fair-trade partnerships with eighteen growers around the world who provide 125 ingredients farmed from their natural habitats. Their Revitalizing Rose Pomegranate face care products are designed for maturing skin. They feature Organic Rose Essential Oil, which helps promote cell renewal, and Organic Pomegranate Seed Oil, which contains antioxidants to help fight free-radical damage. The extensive line features the moisturizing Cream Cleanser, Intensive Repair Eye Cream, Intensive Seed Oil Capsules, Antioxidant Mask and Intensive Firming Cream. (Available at primaveralife.com.)
Neydharting Moor Skin & Body Care, from the Neydharting Healing Clinic in Austria, utilizes the benefits of Neydharting Moor’s Peat & Peat Water, which contains naturally-sourced botanicals, herbs and nutrients. Their Advanced Skincare line features the Ageless Eye Cream, a delicate eye cream infused with age-defying antioxidants. The Intense Regenerating Serum is a cream-gel that helps reduce puffiness and irritation. The newest addition to their product family is the Regenerating Night Cream – Face and Neck. It’s a rich, ultra-hydrating night cream with their signature Neydharting Peat and Peat Water, bioactive Super-27 anti-aging complex, Sweet Almond Oil and Allantoin to smooth the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and help restore lost elasticity. (Available at MoorSkincare.com.)
The new Clarins Double Serum Complete Age Control Concentrate is powered by 20 pure plant extracts and potent high-tech molecules. The dual chamber system combines two age-defying formulas to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, minimize pores and make skin look firmer. (Available at Sephora.com.)
The new Revitalift Miracle Blur Instant Skin Smoother Finishing Cream from L’Oreal Paris is a finishing cream that utilizes the new Opti-Blur Technology to diffuse light to erase the look of fine lines, wrinkles and pores for a smoother looking complexion in thirty seconds. Silica helps absorb oil and the SPF 30 protects skin from UVA/UVB rays. (Available at drugstores.)
Elizabeth Arden presents their new PREVAGE Anti-Aging+ Intensive Repair Daily Serum. It blends Idebenone, an anti-oxidant, with their exclusive new ingredient Arazine, which helps shield the skin from environmental effects and helps support the skin’s natural repair process. (Available at www. elizabetharden.com.)
Make Up For Ever’s new Pro Finish is a unique multi-use compact foundation with an innovative formulation that can be applied wet for a sheer, satin finish or dry for a full, matte finish. The breakthrough formula boasts a Vegetal Lecithin coating that wraps around each pigment to transform the product’s texture so it stays on the skin better, longer and more effectively. It’s mineral oil-free, fragrance-free and paraben-free, with less talc than traditional formulations, eliminating the chalky, cakey effect that gives the impression of aging skin. (Available at Sephora.com.)
Calgon’s new Ageless Bath Collection has Vita Pearl Complex of Collagen, Vitamin E and Pearl Powder in their Ageless Bath Body Scrub and Soak, Ageless Bath Pearls and Ageless Milk Bath with Serum Beads. (Available at takemeaway.com.)
The LiftActiv Serum 10 from Vichy was the 2012 Allure Best of Beauty Award Winner for Big Breakthrough. The anti-aging treatment is formulated with Rhamnose, a naturally-derived plant sugar, clinically proven to improve skin rejuvenation. The hydrating, lightweight serum has proven efficacy on the appearance of wrinkles, pores and sagging. (Available at vichyusa.com.)
The new Ecos Daily HydraPrimer SPF 30 keeps in skin’s natural moisture with Soy and Sodium Hyaluronate and helps the signs of aging with apple stem cell technology to reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles. Its light tint makes it perfect to use alone or under foundation. (Available at Target.)