The early sundown of the winter months lends itself to the evening-ready and glamorous smoky eye. Here are tips from M•A•C Cosmetics Senior Artist Cynthia Rivas (Twitter: @MAC_Cynthia_R)
- Begin with eye cream and moisturize the entire eye area. Let it dry for a few minutes to ensure the makeup applies evenly and smoothly.
- Prep the entire eyelid with a primer, applying it evenly from the lash line to the crease using a small, short, bristled brush. M•A•C Paint Pots are great for this and will help prevent your sultry eye look from creasing.
- Use M•A•C Eye Kohl in Smolder to line around the entire eye. Remember when lining the inner water line to blend out the edges with a small, soft blending brush. This will create a halo of color around the entire eye. To amp it up for a late night, I recommend using a dark, smoldering pencil in the water line to add a little more drama.
- Take a smoky or warm brown eye shadow like M•A•C Eye Shadow in Bronze and apply the color with a small, flat eye shadow brush on top of the eye kohl. This will create a sultry pop of color.
- Finish with a healthy coat of black mascara. M•A•C Extreme Dimension Mascara is one of my favorites for volume, length and clump-free lashes. But don’t forget about your eyebrows! Keep them natural and groomed with M•A•C Clear Brow Set.
Here’s a list of my smoky eye must-have brushes:
- M•A•C 217 Blending Brush
- M•A•C 219 Pencil Brush
- M•A•C 239 Eye Shader Brush
More suggestions for creating that perfect smoky eye:
Make Up For Ever’s Aqua Cream collection has some smoky must-haves: Anthracite (1), Steel (2) and Satin Brown (14). Their Aqua Shadow pencils blend easily in shades such as Pearly Taupe (20E), Matte Taupe Grey (4E), Matte Navy Blue (6E), and Matte Black (0E). (Available at sephora.com)
The new BECCA Ultimate Eye Colour Quads are palettes of highly pigmented eyeshadows in matte, demi-matte and metallic finishes. Check them out in Astro Violet, Night Star, Galactica and Eclipsed. (Available at sephora.com)
Eye Enhancers 1-Kit Shadow from COVERGIRL has a few shades for a perfect smoky eye: Raisin, After Midnight and Black Tie. The new Clump Crusher saturates lashes with mascara while the fine-tooth comb bristles distribute evenly. (Available at drugstores.)
Pixi Shade Quartette in Shades of Taupe features her signature iridescent shadows in a dark brown and gray brown and satin shades in beige and pink to blend. (Available at Target.)
The Loreal Paris new Infallible 24 HR Eye Shadow is a powder cream hybrid. The highly-pigmented shades make a smoky eye easy with colors such as Smoldering Plum, Golden Emerald, Sultry Smoke and Liquid Diamond. (Availble at drugstores.)
Revlon’s new Photoready features primer, shadow and sparkle all in one handy palette. Renaissance features a deep plum and a soft medium gray along with a light pink for highlighting and sheer sparkle to finish. (Available at drugstores.)
Finish off the look with the new Secret Agent Beauty Double Agent-Eyes eyeliner/mascara duo. Long and short mascara wand bristles fan out lashes. The eyeliner is hidden in the mascara cap making it very portable. (Available at ronrobinson.com)