Achieving a flawless face begins with foundation. Correctly applied foundation can make skin look natural and luminous whether you have dry or oily skin.
Start with a clean face. If you’re dry or partly dry, put moisturizer where you need it and give it a few minutes to absorb.
Use your best judgment when it comes to primer. Some like it all over; some just put it on trouble spots such as pores and fine lines.
Apply liquid or cream foundation with your fingers, a foundation brush or a sponge. Fingers help warm the foundation for easy coverage. I’m a big fan of using a foundation brush, as it helps spread the foundation evenly. Sponges are good for blending. Dampen one and buff gently to even out any excess. For powder foundation, a sponge or powder brush is good for pressed powder. A powder brush alone is best for loose powder.
Whatever your choice, apply in a downward direction so that peach fuzz stays in place. Make sure to blend below the jaw line to prevent any harsh lines.
When it comes to concealer, I prefer to use it after I apply foundation. This way I can see what the foundation covers on its own. Then I apply concealer under the eyes and on imperfections.
Touch up during the day as needed. If you’re oily, look for an oil-free, matte foundation. Use blotting papers to absorb excess oil and dust lightly with powder. For dry skin, use a hydrating foundation. Lightly apply moisturizer on dry patches if need be.
• smashbox has a brand new Photo Finish More Than Primer Dark Spot Correcting which helps diminish the look of an uneven skin tone. (Available at sephora.com.)
• The hourglass Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15 is a water-resistant primer that absorbs excess oil for a uniform makeup application (Available at sephora.com.)
• Hybrids Skin Perfecting Primer from Murad is an oil-free primer with a tinted formula to help disguise flaws. It comes in both a matte finish and a dewy finish. (Available at sephora.com.)
Foundation with light coverage:
• e.l.f. Studio Flawless Finish Foundation is lightweight, oil-free, semi-matte and features an SPF of 15. It’s super inexpensive to boot! (Available at Target.)
• Maybelline’s new Dream Nude Airfoam is a super lightweight foam foundation available in twelve shades. (Available at drugstores.)
• Skin Foundation Mineral Makeup SPF 15 from Bobbi Brown is a super-fine mineral powder foundation with a weightless finish. (Available at sephora.com.)
Foundation with medium coverage:
• The new Tinted Moisturizer Crème Compact Broad Spectrum SPF 20 Sunscreen is laura mercier’s best-selling Tinted Moisturizer available in a compact. It provides sheer to moderate buildable coverage. (Available at sephora.com.)
• benefit’s Play Sticks are cream foundation sticks with a satin matte finish. They come in four shades in an easy to use twist up tube. (Available at sephora.com.)• Diorskin Nude Skin-Glowing Makeup SPF 15 is a fluid foundation that hydrates with natural floral water for a translucent natural look. (Available at sephora.com.)
Foundation with full coverage:
• The new Maracuja Miracle Foundation from tarte is an anti-aging, moisturizing foundation. It’s infused with maracula oil, known to reduce irritation and redness. (Available at sephora.com.)
• Glow Time, from jane iredale, is a new Full Coverage BB Cream. It’s available in six shades and has an SPF of 25. (Available at shop.janeiredale.com.)
• Lancome’s Teint Idole Ultra 24H foundation boasts all day shine-free staying power. The complexion-perfecting coverage comes in an impressive 28 shades. (Available at sephora.com.)
2015 Greater Boston Radio, Inc. - WKLB-FM